When you reach your 50th birthday and begin to approach “retirement age”, it’s probably a good time to start thinking about how you’d like to spend your retirement years. According to “10 Tips for Happy Retirement Living” by Sharon O’Brien, financial planners recommend that you start thinking about retirement living decades before you’re ready to actually retire. Realistically, it’s important to make a retirement planning checklist at least five years before your actual planned retirement date.
According to a survey of recent retirees conducted by Fidelity Investments, over half (57%) of recent retirees look back on the years before leaving the workplace and wish they had done more retirement planning before they retired. Based on feedback from the survey, Fidelity Investments offers a retirement planning checklist that can be helpful in organizing your thoughts and your resources.
Is a Retirement Living Community Right For You?
While you’re thinking about your retirement plans and how much money you’ll need for retirement, it is equally important to contemplate what you want your life to be like, and how you want to feel every day! As an option, retirement living communities promote active, “resort-style” living while offering a secure environment and specific services and amenities that provide added convenience and a focus on enjoying life to the fullest.
Consider the Advantages
- Maintenance-Free Living – Freedom from physically challenging and time-consuming home maintenance and repair.
- The Benefits of Downsizing – Downsizing offers an opportunity to consider which possessions are truly important to you and to start anew as opposed to leaving this task for adult children when you may be unable to do so.
- Social Interaction – Social connections abound in retirement living communities and are vital to personal emotional health and well-being as we age. This becomes increasingly important as senior adults leave their busy careers.
- An Active Lifestyle – Sports and recreational activities have become a priority and are readily available as medical research has demonstrated the physical and mental benefits of regular exercise as we age. Today retirement living communities are offering pools, walking trails and well-equipped gyms as well as social gatherings and planned outings.
- Quality Food Service – Many communities specialize in restaurant-style dining. A variety of meal plans are available from which to select. Private residences can also include kitchens or kitchenettes for cooking and entertaining.
- Mental Stimulation – Computer labs and libraries are now common as are guest speakers, classes and seminars. Informal game tables are commonplace as are movie nights and trips to cultural events and venues.
- Transportation Services – Free transportation is typically available for trips to the store and for any medical needs.
- Professional Services – These typically include housekeeping and laundry service, a beauty salon and access to medicals services.
- Additional Support Services – Assisted living services are available at leading residential communities for those who need help with activities of daily living, medical security or memory care needs.
- Personal Choice – You determine how you live your life and spend your days. You can choose privacy or social interaction most hours of the day in a secure, community setting.
Leading retirement living communities such as Spring Mill Senior Living provide active adult lifestyles that feature services and amenities that make living easier and more enjoyable. Imagine staying at a five-star resort, but the vacation never ends. These communities offer luxurious amenities you don’t find at home — from dining rooms serving delicious meals to pools, gyms, game rooms, theaters and more, right outside your door.
Spring Mill Senior Living: A new beginning for retirement living.
Spring Mill Senior Living represents a new beginning for retirement living in Chester County. Offering a unique style and an extensive range of living options and services, Spring Mill Senior Living stands out as the optimum community for seniors seeking a personalized balance of support, security, independence, and choice. See a Virtual Tour of the community here.
Whether you want to live independently in a two-bedroom apartment complete with balcony, or a smaller efficiency unit, Spring Mill Senior Living has options. And, for those individuals looking for additional care, short-term respite stays, help with memory loss, or short-term nursing care, Spring Mill Senior Living can also provide a complete range of services and amenities as individualized as you may need, or want… and best of all, there are no entrance fees. For more information about Spring Mill Senior Living call 610-933-7675 or click below for more information.
This article originally appeared on The Summit Retirement Community’s blog.